Friday 9 February 2007

New rule:

Only people named Sally shall be invited to read my blog.

It is a fine name and should be celebrated because it means all these things:

sal·ly / [sal-ee]
-noun
1. a sortie of troops from a besieged place upon an enemy.
2. a sudden rushing forth or activity.
3. an excursion or trip, usually off the main course.
4. an outburst or flight of passion, fancy, etc.: a sally of anger.
5. a clever, witty, or fanciful remark.
6. Carpentry. a projection, as of the end of a rafter beyond the notch by which the rafter is fitted over the wall plate.


–verb (used without object)
7. to make a sally, as a body of troops from a besieged place.
8. to set out on a side trip or excursion.
9. to set out briskly or energetically.
10. (of things) to issue forth.


My name on the other hand would mean nothing at all were it to be popped into the middle of a sentence.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is indeed a truly fine name, though all too frequently preceded by Silly or Sensible. Why not just Sally. And don't get me started on people assuming it's really Sally-Ann. Or calling me Aunt Sally becuase oh - it's such a funny and original jape...

However it is also a fine name for musical muses, consider as evidence the likes of Long Tall Sally, Mustang Sally, Sally Cinnamon and erm, Lay Down Sally and Sally Pride of Our Alley (say nothing!)

glamourarmour said...

Hmmm.I know songs where my name is mentioned, but strangely always in relation to weaponry, including such classics as "where are you going with that gun in your hand?"

Unknown said...

Are you testing to see if your Sally fan base are still reading your blog despite the fact that you almost never post anything? I'm glad you think so much of my/our splendid name. I too always get the whole 'Aunt Sally' jest, but now it turns out that my blasted brother is having a baby so he's well and truly sealed the deal on that one, sigh.